Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tombstone Tuesday - Egbert Jones Foster, June 1832 - 14 Apr 1900


Egbert Jones Foster is my paternal second great-grandfather.  I liked his tombstone from the moment I saw it, and I have yet to run across another ancestor with one like his.

Egbert was a Woodsman of the World (WOW), and their distinctive headstones - always in varying tree stump shapes - can be found nationwide in the United States.  Being able to have one of these headstones "...was an early benefit of Woodmen of the World membership."  In the late 1920s, the tombstone program became cost-prohibitive and was terminated.

In addition to being a WOW, he worked as a farmer and also fought in the American Civil War, on the side of the Union, in Captain Willis' Co. F, 11th Regiment, Kentucky.

On 14 April 1900, Egbert passed away at the age of 67 years and 10 months.  He is buried in Spring Hill Cemetery in Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee.


These photos are from FindAGrave Memorial # 6697965.
The inscription reads:
EGBERT J. FOSTER
DIED
April 14, 1900
AGED
67 Yrs. 10 Mos.
©Amy Wood Kelly, 2015 - I am happy to share my genealogical research and writing with others, as well as to help others with their research efforts.  However, please do not reprint this post in full or in part or use excerpts from this post without giving full credit to me, Amy Wood Kelly, as the researcher and author as well as providing the permalink to this post.  Thank you, in advance, for showing respect for my request and the work I put into creating this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment