Monday, January 15, 2018

"Longevity" - The Litaker Sisters

When I think about my family tree and longevity, my maternal great-grandmother, “Nanny,” and her sisters immediately come to mind:

Full Sisters (daughters of George Franklin Litaker, Sr. and Molsie Jane Talbirt(a.k.a., Talbert) Litaker), including Nanny, in birth order:
  • Ola Lenetta Litaker McBride (14 May 1898 – 18 Aug 1991), who died at the age of 93.
  • Faye Elizabeth “Nanny” Litaker Litaker (28 Aug 1901 – 26 Oct 1995), who died at the age of 94.
  • Blanche Lucille Litaker Faggart (22 Aug 1906 – 12 Jul 2007), who died at the age of 100.
  • Mary Elva Litaker Weddington (24 Mar 1911 – 20 Dec 1998), who died at the age of 87.

Half Sisters* (daughters of George Franklin Litaker, Sr. and Carrie White Dove Litaker) in birth order:

  • Margaret Mae Litaker Swarigen (16 May 1891 – 09 Mar 1982), who died at the age of 90.
  • Lacie Carrie Litaker Cox Harris (16 Jul 1896 – 11 Oct 1981), who died at the age of 85.


I grew up around Nanny, Aunt Blanche, and Aunt Mary; and they were all kind, loving, funny, and generous women.  I feel so lucky that I was able to know them.

All of the sisters except Lacie, who move to South Carolina circa 1913, lived their entire lives in Cabarrus County; so they were surrounded throughout their lives with close and extended family and lifelong friends.

I'll share some pictures of the sisters, as well as of a couple of places that were significant in their youth.  I don't have a photo of Mae, so I'm including her husband's obituary, which mentions her, instead.


The Litaker Farm House on South Union Street in what was then
Township #11, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.  This is where the
Litaker sisters grew up.

The Litaker School in Township #11, Cabarrus County,
North Carolina.  It was built by George F. Litaker, Sr.; and it is where his youngest
 four daughters attended primary school.

Aunt Ola and her
daughter, Nancy Elizabeth, circa 1921. 
Nanny with my cousin, Heather, on her left and me on her right.
Concord, Cabarrus, North Carolina. About 1973/1974.
Aunt Blanche - late 1960s/early 1970s.
Aunt Mary (far right) with her daughter,
Marian Young Weddington (far left).
Obituary for Aunt Mae's husband,
Harrison Brack Swaringen.
Aunt Lacie in Lakeland, Florida.
February 1960.




Nanny had one other half-sister, Nellie Gray Litaker Smith (1890-1907), who lived into early adulthood.  Nellie suffered from mental illness, which was prominent throughout her mother's family.  From news reports, it seems she most likely committed suicide.



©Amy Wood Kelly, 2018 - I am happy to share my genealogical research and writing with others, as well as to help others with their research efforts.  However, please do not reprint or repost this post in full or in part or use excerpts from it without giving full credit to me, Amy Wood Kelly, as the researcher and author as well as providing the permalink to this post.  Thank you, in advance, for showing respect for my request and the work I put creating this.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment