Monday, March 9, 2015

Amanuensis Monday - Transcription of WWI Postcard from Murl Sanders Litaker, Sr. (1896-1955) to His Mother

My maternal great-grandfather, Murl Sanders Litaker, Sr. (1896-1955), wrote the postcard below on 01 April 1919 during World War I.  He lived in Concord, North Carolina, and, at that time, was stationed almost 4,400 miles away from home in Grenoble, France.  He was writing to his mother, Mrs. Joe W. Litaker, whose full name was Margaret Alice Ashby Litaker (1878-1966).

Back of Postcard

Front of Postcard.  It says, "659. Environs de GRENOBLE Les Trois Pucelles."

Transcription

(Note:  I have transcribed it exactly as it was written; thus, any spelling errors were part of the original text.)

General

The postal cancellation reads:
"U. S. ARMY POST OFFICE M.P.E.S. 2PM APR 5 1919 ADRESSE 791."

I can only make out some parts of the inspection stamp and signature:
"★ D(?).E.F. PASSED ASD?DN ?ED ★ A. 152(?)1 - O.K. Charles T. Howard(?) 1st Lieut. Inf."

Text from Left-Hand Side of Postcard

Sgt. M. S. Litaker
Co. B. 321 inf. American
Exp. Torser(?) apo. 791
April 1, 1919.

Dear Mother.

I will drop yous a few lines to let you here from me.  I am well and injoying life fine.  I received a letter from yous today and injoyed it.  from your son.

Text from Right-Hand Side of Postcard

Soldier
Mail

Mrs. Joe W. Litaker
Concord,
North Car.
Rout 2 U.S.A.


This post is based on +Genea Bloggers' "Amanuensis Monday" prompt.

©Amy Wood Kelly, 2015 - I am happy to share my genealogical research and writing with others, as well as to help others with their research efforts.  However, please do not reprint this post in full or in part or use excerpts from this post without giving full credit to me, Amy Wood Kelly, as the researcher and author as well as providing the permalink to this post.  Thank you, in advance, for showing respect for my request and the work I put into creating this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment